Long recognised as one of Carshalton’s finest historic buildings, the original Old Rectory housed priests serving Carshalton Church from the late Middle Ages, when it belonged to Merton Priory. The cellars remaining today may well date from that time.
The current building is Grade II listed, thought to have been built in the late 17th- early 18th century. First owned by the Reverend William Hollier, it passed through a series of private owners and tenants after he and his wife died.
A wealthy timber merchant named William Mallinson acquired it around 1918 and even contemplated demolishing it but was, fortunately, dissuaded and he moved to The Grange in Wallington.
The Old Rectory and Lodge were bought and put into service as the Southwark Diocesan House and the College of St. Saviour in 1921. In 1943, the buildings were acquired by Carshalton UDC, to be used as council offices and part of an Ecology Centre.
The Old Rectory now stands vacant, an attractive local landmark in the Carshalton Village Conservation Area, retaining much of its character and architectural features. A campaign is underway to preserve and restore it, led by the Carshalton Old Rectory Association and supported by many local organisations.